Reed Flute Cave
Described as "Art Palace of Nature", the stalagmite and stone flowers of grotesque shapes in the caves create breathtaking spectacles which are readily a feast for the eyes. Half way up the Brightness Hill, Reed Flute Cave is five kilometers northwest of the center of Guilin. There used to be a special kind of reed growing outside of the cave which was an ideal material for making flute. Inside the U-shaped Karst cave a large number of stalactites, stalagmites, stone pillars, stone curtains, and stone flowers, all glistening in colorful lights. In a distance of 500 meter between the entrance and the exit, there are more than 30 interesting sights, including "Pine in the Snow", "Mushroom Hill", "Virgin Forest", "Crystal Palace", "Dragon Pagoda", "Flower and Fruit Mountain" ... The Reed Flute Cave is justifiable called the "Art Palace of Nature".
No. 3, Changhai Lu
￥90 (adult and children above 1.4m)
￥45 (children 1.4-1.1m, students with student ID)
Recommended Visit Time
Best Travel Time
All the year round
December to March: 08:00 to 17:30
April to November: 7:30-18:00
1. From Guilin Liangjiang International Airport (25km): A) by taxi directly ￥120; B) first by airport coach (￥20) to Civil Aviation Hotel and then hire a taxi (￥10) to the cave.
2. From Guilin Railway Station (aka Guilin South Railway Station, 6 km): By bus No.3 (￥1)
3. From Guilin North Railway Station (8 km): By taxi (￥15)
4. From city center (5km): by Bus No.3 (￥1), No. 13(￥1), 4A tourist special-route bus (free) or No.58 ((free but the departure interval is very long).
Warm travel tips:
1) The cave only offers Chinese tour guide interpreters. If you hire a private English tour guide, s/he may overly focus on what the formations resemble (birds, animals, flowers, what have you) at the expense of conveying the beauty of the formations and explaining how they evolved. Taking the "use your imagination" approach is good, but it can be overdone.
2) There are many steps inside the cave, the floors are wet and so prevent them. Wearing a pair of travel shoes is advisable
3) Outside the cave, many vendors may keep pestering you to buy their reed flutes, you'd better bargain with them for a better price.
Recommended China Tour Packages
In this section
Find China Tours
Cities and Attractions interested in