Beijing Fact Sheet
Beijing, an ancient city, and capital of People’s Republic of China, is the political, cultural, domestic and international communication center of China, and is a famous, ancient historical and cultural city in the world. In 1040 B.C., Beijing was built in the current Guang’anmen, Xuanwu District. So it has a history of over 3,000 years. In 938 A.D., the kingdom of Liao, which reigns over north China, takes Beijing (called Yanjing at that time) as the provisional capital; Being capital of Yuan, Ming, and Qing Dynasty, Beijing has over 850 years’ history as the capital; on Oct. 1, 1949, the P.R.C. was founded and Beijing is decided as the capital of new China.
Beijing in Chinese Pinyin: Běijīng
Beijing in simple Chinese: 北京
Location:Beijing is located in the northwest edge of north China plain, adjacent to the Bohai bay.
Geographic Position: 115.7°E-117.4°E, 39.4°N-41.6°N
Area: 16410.51 square kilometers.
Main Ethnic Groups: Hui, Man, Mongolian and Han.
Area Code: (+86）010
Zip Code: 100000
City Tree: Pagoda tree
City Flower: Chinese Rose
Language: Beijing Dialect (Putong Hua)
Beijing is a meeting place for many people. The diverse religion such as Buddhism, Taoism, Islamism, Catholicism, Christianism plays an active role in Beijing’s historical and artistic development.
Great Events of Beijing in History
1. In 11 Century B.C., Shao Gong in the West Zhou Dynasty built Yan near current Beijing.
2. The early years of the Yuan Dynasty, Kubla Khan changed Yanjing into Zhongdu, and Beijing started to be the capital of the country.
3. In the lunar January of 1403, the Yongle Reign, Emperor Zhu Di change Beiping into Beijing, and moved the capital to Beijing. The name Beijing started to be used.
4. In 1644, Emperor Fulin was enthroned in Beijing, and made Beijing the capital in the imperial edict.
5. On Oct. 1, 1949, People’s Republic of China was founded. The dounding ceremony was held in Tian’anmen, the capital Beijing.
6. In 1987, the Great Wall, the Palace Museum, and the Zhoukoudian Peking Man Site were ranked in the World Heritage List by the UNESCO.
7. In 1998, the Temple of the Heaven and the Summer Palace were ranked in the World Heritage List by the UNESCO.
8. In July 3, 2003, the Ming Tombs was ranked in the World Heritage List by the UNESCO. In July, 13, 2001, Beijing won the bid to host the 2008 Summer Olympic Games.
Beijing administers 14 districts 2 counties:
Dongcheng District, Xicheng District, Haidian District, Chaoyang District, Fengtai District, Shijingshan District, Tongzhou District, Shunyi District, Fangshan District, Daxing District, Changping District, Huairou District, Pinggu District and Mentougou District.
Miyun county, Yanqing county.
Beijing capital international airport, Beijing Nanyuan Airport
Beijing Station, Beijing West Railway Station, Beijing South Railway Station, etc.
◎Length of subway
It is 54 kilometers (by 2000). More than 100 kilometers will be built from 2001-2005.
◎Length of roads
It is 1,200 kilometers (by 2000). More than 700 kilometers will be built from 2001-2005.
◎Number of automobiles
1.58 million (By 2000)
◎Number of bicycles
Number of hospitals
More than 50 large-scale and specialized hospitals, some 5,940 community hospitals, clinics and healthcare centers.
Main Tourist Attractions
China National Museum, Military Museum of Chinese People’s Revolution, China Science & Technology Museum, Beijing Capital Museum, World Art Gallery of China Millennium Monument, National Art Museum of China
Colleges and Universities
Renmin University of China
Beijing normal university
China University of Geosciences
Beijing Broadcasting Institute
Beijing Foreign Studies University
Beijing Forestry University
Beijing Jiaotong University
Beijing Language and Culture University
Beijing University of Chemical Technology
Central Academy of Drama
Central University of Finance and Economics
Minzu University of China
University of Science and Technology Beijing
Beijing University of Petroleum
China University of Political Science and Law
The climate of Beijing is Temperate monsoon climate, its annual average temperature is 14.0℃. Its Highest temperature is 42℃ and Lowest temperature is -27℃.
Wangfujing Street, Liulichang, Qianmen Street
Tel Aviv, Astana, Manila, Hanoi, Seoul, Bangkok, Islamabad, Jakarta, Ankara and Tokyo.
Lisbon, Bucharest, Athens, Madrid Autonomous Community, Rome, Paris, Moscow, Amsterdam, Brussels, Berlin, Kiev, Koln, Ile de France, Madrid, Belgrade, Budapest, London, Helsinki and Tirana.
Havana, Ottawa, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, Washington D.C., Lima and New York.
Canberra and Wellington.
Doha Qatar, Addis Ababa, Gauteng and Cairo.
Special Local Products
Beijing Roast Duck, Cloisonne, Beijing Preserved Fruit, Huairou Chestnuts, Pinggu Fresh Peaches, Steamed Sponge Cake, etc.
Beijing Roast Duck, Mutton Hotpot, Man-han Banquet, Stir-fried Liver Beijing Style, Almond Tea, All Fish Feast, etc.